Come and try out bushcraft skills at Whinlatter Forest. The Forestry Commission has teamed up with the Keswick Canoe and Bushcraft Company to run bushcraft skills workshops in the heart of the forest.
Introduction to Bushcraft
28 July, 13 Aug and 30 Aug: 10-4.30, designed for the whole family
This is a fun, practical workshop, learning basic but essential skills of bushcraft as well as developing an understanding of the natural environment. Children will have the opportunity to be totally hands on whilst under the supervision of our experienced and friendly instructors.
Learn and Practice:
- Tarpaulin shelter bivis: where to pitch them, uses, useful knots.
- Woodland foraging: fruits, foliage, flowers and fungus. Trees, twigs and tinder.
- Laying and lighting a campfire: where to put them and how to light them using natural tinder and kindling.
- Building a simple hide/shelter from forest material.
- Using a camp stove, prepare hot drinks and cook your lunch over this stove
Cost: £55 adults, £45 children. Minimum age 8.
Children's bushcraft taster session
1 Aug, 10 Aug, 16 Aug and 21 Aug: 10am to 1pm and 1.30pm to 4.30pm
A workshop where you will have a chance to try out the basic skills of bushcraft. Cost: £20. Suitable for beginners. Minimum age 8.
Paddle Carving Workshop
1 and 2 Sept, 9am-5pm
A well made paddle is a durable piece of kit that feels great in the hand, is lightweight and looks stunning. £210 for the 2 day course, including all tools, materials, instructions, lunches and drinks.
Book on any of the workshops by e-mailing
or call Claire or Paul on 07944 735 010 / 07950 559 623